Joshua Dorothy advises the owners and managers of businesses regarding their most consequential decisions and their day-to-day issues. He assists with starting an enterprise, including forming legal entities and putting in place the major documents regarding the relationship among owners and how the business will be operated. When a business is operating, Joshua provides counsel regarding employment, real estate, financing, major contracts, and managing risk. He advises businesses regarding protecting their intellectual property, including copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. He assists both buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions, and provides counsel regarding multi-generational transfers of ownership and operations. Joshua advises enterprises of all sizes and types, including small start-ups, multi-state businesses with hundreds of employees, not-for-profit organizations, and municipal-owned enterprises.
Education & Admissions
- B.A., Denison University
- J.D., Hamline University School of Law, summa cum laude
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Publications & Presentations
Presentations & Publications
- Emerging Technologies and Fidelity Instruments, DRI Fidelity & Surety Roundtable, May 2016.
- Reading to Become a Better Writer, For the Defense (DRI), March 2016.
- Severance Agreement & Waiver of Rights: How to Draft an Enforceable Waiver, Minnesota Association of City Attorneys, June 2014.
- The Standard Form That Isn’t – Fidelity Riders and Endorsements, with Mark J. Johnson, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, January 2014.
- The New Theft-Based Employee Fidelity Coverage – A Retreat or Bold Step Forward?, with Mark J. Johnson and Theresa A. Gooley, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, November 2012.
- Impervious to Kryptonite: Why Minnesota “Super Lawyers” Can Continue Advertising, 30 Hamline L. Rev. 683, 2007.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- DRI (formerly known as the Defense Research Institute)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Copyright Society of the USA
- Up & Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2016